Thursday, June 9, 2011

Is This My Destiny?

Hello, I want to continue my story in hopes of people finding encouragement and understanding for those struggling with schizophrenic disorders. I was first formally diagnosed during my first hospitalization. The hospital was a shock for me. At the time, I was not sure what I had... I just knew that I could not go on like this. I was living at home at the time and was very depressed. It was more than a simple melancholy feeling... I wanted to die. In fact, I remember telling my parents that if they didn't let me go to the hospital I would kill myself. My parents were not in favor of traditional medicine, and instead completely relied on their faith. Now don't get me wrong, I am a Christian, but I feel that medicine has it's place also. Long story short, I admitted myself into the psychiatric ward. I was hearing voices and would constantly see things in my peripheral vision. The hospital scared me. I felt out of place, but that was mainly because I didn't know what I was experiencing. I was terrified. I remember lying in my bed, thinking to myself, "is this my destiny?". Fortunately I responded well to the medication... at first. I was taking Invega and finally was able to socialize again. Then, out of the blue, I had a seizure. I hadn't had one in about five years. It was a long quest to find the medication that worked and didn't give me horrendous side effects. After the seizure, I was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit and was thankfully discharged from the Psychiatric Ward. When I came home, I was "greeted" by my family telling me it was all in my head, and I could just overcome by willing it away. For those of you who have a family member with mental illness. Please, please do not think this is the case. If we could "will it away", we would. The road ahead of me was long and arduous, but I began to obtain the will to survive.. and survive I would. Now don't think this is a sob story, but I want to show you what we go through before I tell the end of this journey. Keep keeping on friends.
-Will

1 comment:

  1. As someone living with a family member with schizophrenia, I know it can be hard at times, but I realize that they cannot just "will it away", as you said. I'll be praying for you and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete