Monday, July 4, 2011

Fight the Fight

Happy 4th of July everyone! Sorry I haven't been posting lately. I have been battling some episodes on and off for the last few weeks. Instead of continuing my story today, I want to take this post in a little different direction. I want to say to all the sufferers out there: Stay strong, and regardless of what the future looks like, it WILL get brighter. We all have issues. I don't want this blog to turn into a sob story. I only feel that people need to be educated in order to understand. The general population of the world has no idea of the struggles of mental illness. If only Hollywood and the mainstream media could stop making mental illness look like a violent, destructive thing, then maybe, just maybe people would begin to be able to see past the stigma. I know it's not easy. Guess what? It's not easy for those watching someone suffer either. To the spouse, or parent, or friend, it's a feeling of watching their friend's mind and reality break down before their very eyes... and the hardest part about it? There is seemingly nothing you can do. That's an erroneous conclusion though. In fact, the sooner your loved one gets help, the more likely that they will come out safe and sound. To put it bluntly, life isn't fair, and we have to play the cards we are dealt. If we can't fight to abolish the stigma, at least we can battle the warped minds of those who suffer. Remember that we are all human beings and deserve the same love and understanding that a "normal" person does. Let's fight! You are the director of your own movie. It's up to you to determine how it turns out. Keep keeping on friends.
-Will

3 comments:

  1. Alot of people don't understand illnesses because of how HOllywood displays them. It breaks my heart because my husband has schizophrenia and I can do nothing for him. I hate not being able to help no matter what I try it's not good enough. I will pray for you constantly. Just know there are some people out their that don't judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post! Very well put! Looking forward to reading more!!

    ReplyDelete